Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for an Ethics Manager. You will be responsible for the revision, dissemination and communication of Laboratory-wide Standards of Conduct and Business Ethics; and, the integration of Laboratory's ethics and values initiative and business conduct practices into the decision-making processes of all levels of the organization. This position is in the Independent Audit & Ethics Department (IAED).
- Develop, institute and maintain an effective ethics compliance communication program for the Laboratory, including promoting use of the employee concerns program helpline, heightened awareness of standards of conduct and business ethics, and understanding of new and existing ethics and compliance issues and related policies and procedures.
- Develop, initiate, maintain, and revise policies and procedures for the general operation of the ethics program and its related activities to assist managers and employees in recognizing illegal, unethical, or improper conduct.
- Supervise Ethics Office staff and manage the day-to-day operation of the ethics program, which includes the ethics and business conduct function; conflict of interest program; ethics awareness program and the employee concerns program.
- Review and update the LLNS Standards of Conduct and Business Ethics publication to ensure continuing currency and relevance in providing guidance to managers and employees; provide guidance and interpretation of policies and program concerning employee responsibilities regarding ethics and compliance.
- Collaborate with other Laboratory entities (e.g., Human Resources, Security Organization, ES&H, and Quality Assurance) to direct compliance issues to appropriate channels for investigation and resolution.
- Resolve difficult legal compliance issues through collaboration and consultation with Office of General Counsel.
- Provide comprehensive reports to the Ethics Officer for briefing the LLNS Board of Governors and Laboratory senior management regarding program activities and accomplishments.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- BS/BA degree in Business or a related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Significant managerial experience with advanced knowledge of and experience managing and administering business standards of conduct and business ethics policies, practices, and procedures.
- Knowledge of legal requirements affecting ethics in general and as applied to government contractors, including but not limited to personal and organizational conflict of interest, post government restrictions, and employee concerns program issues.
- Significant experience negotiating with management or customers regarding significant business ethics and compliance matters.
- Demonstrated advanced problem solving, decision making, and analytical skills necessary to independently advise, recommend, and resolve highly complex problems having Lab-wide impact.
- Experience and demonstrated advanced skill in performing analysis, investigating complaints/concerns, and recommending solutions on ethics issues, including writing mitigation plans.
- Demonstrated ability to direct, create and maintain an integrated process for receiving, tracking, and recording resolution of ethical concerns.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills necessary to present, direct, negotiate, and influence at all levels of staff and high levels of management.
- JD, MBA, or similar advanced degree with a focus on ethics.
- Relevant experience with federal government ethics requirements and laws/regulations, which may include Federal or M&O Contractor experience.
- Knowledge of LLNL personnel, business and financial management policies and practices.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: Text revised effective 8/8/2017. This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.5 billion, employing approximately 6,000 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.