The Oil, Gas & Chemicals Ethics and Compliance Officer develops, implements, and refines the GBU compliance and ethics strategy and is responsible for implementing the Bechtel companywide ethics and compliance program and related compliance activities within the organization.
This responsibility includes:
- Providing employees with prospective decision-making guidance and answering questions concerning the Bechtel standards of conduct;
- Helping employees who wish to report potential violations of the Bechtel standards of conduct;
- Providing overall oversight and hands-on management of the GBU’s ethics and compliance program on behalf of the GBU president and senior managers; and
- In coordination with the GBU principal counsel, assisting senior management to assure that the organization’s employees are aware of and appropriately educated about the legal requirements of their jobs.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Advises senior management on matters relating to organizational ethics and compliance.
- Manages issues relating to ethics and compliance within the organization and ensures all issues are appropriately evaluated, investigated and resolved, and that confidentiality of information is maintained.
- Collaborates with business units, area offices, project sites and functions and directs ethics and compliance issues to the appropriate existing channels for investigation and resolution.
- Develops/implements corrective action plans for resolution of problematic issues, and provides guidance for avoidance of similar issues in the future
- Directs and oversees the institution of an effective communication program for the organization to heighten awareness of ethics and compliance.
- Conducts risk management reviews and identifies potential areas of compliance vulnerability and risk and determines the degree of compliance with controls as set forth in Bechtel policies, management instructions and procedures.
- Consults with the GBU principal counsel and compliance subject matter experts to determine whether any additional compliance training is indicated to supplement the companywide core compliance training curriculum and, if so,
- Develops an appropriate supplemental compliance education plan for GBU employees;
- Maintains appropriate records to track compliance with the plan;
- Provides periodic reports to the Chief Ethics and Compliance Officer on progress against the plan; an
- Periodically reviews the education plan to ensure compliance with this procedure.
- Ensures GBU employees are fully aware of their ethics and compliance training obligations, while reinforcing the value this training brings to their daily activities.
- Appoints and directs compliance contacts and/or coordinators as necessary to assist with the implementation of the ethics and compliance program within the GBU.
- Provides oversight and direction to the GBU project compliance officers.
- Performs additional tasks and duties at the request of the Chief Ethics and Compliance Officer.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, business management, law or other compliance related discipline from an accredited college or university with 10+ years of related Ethics and Compliance experience.
- Or in lieu of degree 15+ years of demonstrated experience in an Ethics and Compliance related discipline or function.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate activities with varying levels of management and staff
- Must exhibit excellent time-management skills by achieving departmental goals and objectives, while working in a high workload environment
- Understands and performs complex and detailed work with accuracy
- Ability to be diplomatic and persuasive in situations requiring those qualities
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, yet function within the corporate structure
- Superior maturity and tact, with the ability to exercise judgment, initiative and discretion regarding confidential and sensitive matters
- Ability to organize and analyze data and information gathered to support investigative findings and document the effectiveness of the ethics and compliance program
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Extensive knowledge of Bechtel’s policies and procedures
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is one of the most respected global engineering, construction, and project management companies. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that foster long-term progress and economic growth. Since 1898, we’ve completed more than 25,000 extraordinary projects across 160 countries on all seven continents. We operate through four global businesses: Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Oil, Gas & Chemicals; and Mining & Metals. Our company and our culture are built on more than a century of leadership and a relentless adherence to our values, the core of which are safety, quality, ethics, and integrity. These values are what we believe, what we expect, what we deliver, and what we live.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.