The Ethics HelpLine manager is responsible for administering the company’s confidential process to help employees resolve ethics and compliance questions and concerns. This responsibility includes: Assuring that e-mail, telephone and other Ethics HelpLine contact information is publicized and maintained on Bechtel internal and external websites; Implementing measures designed to maintain confidentiality, protect anonymity and eliminate fear of retaliation; Arranging for reported concerns to be reviewed and investigated by Internal Audit, Human Resources, the Legal Department, business unit+ ethics and compliance officers, executive-level management or others, as appropriate; Advising appropriate management of investigation findings and recommended corrective actions; Collecting and reporting facts and data concerning contacts to the Ethics HelpLine in a manner that facilitates consistent responses to ethics policy questions and requests for guidance, and production of meaningful statistical reports; Maintaining a follow-up system to ensure that appropriate, corrective actions are taken; and When possible, communicating investigation results and corrective actions to employees who reported concerns.
Essential Job Functions:
- Working under very general direction from the Chief Ethics and Compliance Officer:
- Coordinates the intake, triage, escalation and handing of all allegations and inquiries received by Bechtel Ethics HelpLine;
- Performs research and preliminary investigations of suspected violations of the corporation’s ethical standards, applicable laws, regulations and corporate policy;
- Assigns and tracks Ethics HelpLine matters to completion;
- Coordinates activities and provides direction in ethics investigations by business unit ethics and compliance officers;
- Responds to employee inquiries concerning ethics and compliance issues;
- Provides guidance and clarification of ethics and compliance policies to employees and managers;
- Manages the ethics and compliance issues tracking database to ensure appropriate and consistent use of the database by all authorized users;
- Creates and conducts ethics awareness presentations;
- Prepares reports and presentations regarding company-wide compliance statistics; and
- Performs additional tasks and duties at the request of the Chief Ethics and Compliance Officer.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate activities with varying levels of management and staff
- Must exhibit excellent time-management skills by achieving departmental goals and objectives, while working in a high workload environment
- Understands and performs complex and detailed work with accuracy
- Ability to be diplomatic and persuasive in situations requiring those qualities
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, yet function within the corporate structure
- Superior maturity and tact, with the ability to exercise judgment, initiative and discretion regarding confidential and sensitive matters
- Ability to organize and analyze data and information gathered to support investigative findings
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Bachelor’s degree (JD or other advanced studies in related discipline a plus)
- 5-7 years ethics and compliance program experience in a corporate setting, including experience answering an ethics “hotline”