Marian University, a Catholic and Franciscan institution of higher education, invites applications for the prestigious position of the Semler Endowed Chair of Ethics. Duties will include teaching; scholarly research, in consultation with relevant departments; support for faculty development and curriculum development in ethics; and providing expert consultation on ethics issues for Marian University. The position will report to Marian University’s Executive Director of the Walker Center for Applied Ethics.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Support the university’s Catholic mission and Franciscan values both at the university and in the community
· Contribute to the ethics education of Marian University students and its community by providing instruction, designing competency assessment tools, and facilitating course and program development in consultation with the faculty
o Internal support of interdivisional ethics curriculum planning and specialty seminars, facilitation of campus discussion of ethics issues, and participation in the university ethics related activities, e.g. Ethics Bowl
o Teach an ethics course for the university undergraduate programs as needed
· Consult on ethical issues for the university and its community partners
· In concert with the Executive Director, coordinate the applied research agenda of the Center
o Oversee the Walker Center’s affiliated faculty program
o Coordinate the activities of the Center’s Research Advisory Committee focused on applied ethics topics
· Participate in and promote academic scholarly activities to include:
o Presentations at regional, national, and international meetings
o Research and publication in recognized ethics journals and publications, peer reviewed journals, periodicals, and books
· Collaboration with ethics professionals in other academic institutions
· Participate in advancement and development activities
· Doctorate Degree with at least five years of academic teaching experience at the university level
· Degree concentration in ethics or demonstrated expertise and scholarly activity in the field of ethics
· Demonstrated scholarly productivity, evidence of excellence in teaching, and the potential and interest in pursuing leadership roles in the ethics field
· A demonstrated interest in furthering topics in applied ethics
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively with students, faculty, and staff
· Specialization or demonstrated contributions to the fields of applied medical ethics and/or business ethics
· Familiarity or experience with IRB protocols related to graduate and undergraduate research
· Demonstrated record of collaborative research with other disciplines and student researchers
For more information about Marian University and the Walker Center for Applied Ethics visit www.marian.edu.
Marian University is located within 10 minutes of downtown Indianapolis, Marian University is one of the nation’s preeminent Catholic institutions of higher learning, and ranks in the Top 25 of US News & World Report’s list of Midwest Region colleges, as well as Money magazine’s list of Top 10 schools in Indiana “For Your Money”. Marian University was founded in 1937 by the Sisters of St. Francis, Oldenburg, Indiana, and the Franciscan Values that the Sisters ingrained into the university’s culture are still prevalent today. The university has experienced tremendous growth in the past 10 years under the leadership of President Daniel J. Elsener, including the opening of the Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine in 2013 – the state’s first new medical school in 110 years. Marian University’s football team has captured the NAIA national championship in 2012 and 2015 in 9 years of existence. Marian University is also home to the most successful collegiate cycling program in the nation, which currently holds 46 national titles.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applications require a current resume, a cover letter, and names and contact information of three current references. Only complete applicant packets submitted to email@example.com will be considered. No phone calls please.
Marian University is an EOE