Smith & Nephew is a diversified advanced medical technology business that supports healthcare professionals in more than 100 countries to improve the quality of life for their patients.
We have leadership positions in Orthopaedic Reconstruction, Advanced Wound Management, Sports Medicine and Trauma:
• Orthopedics Reconstruction - joint replacement systems for knees, hips and shoulders
• Advanced Wound Management - wound care treatment and prevention products used to treat hard-to-heal wounds
• Sports Medicine - minimally invasive surgery of the joint
• Trauma & Extremities - products that help repair broken bones
We have over 15,000 employees around the world. Annual sales in 2016 were more than $4.6 billion. We are a constituent of the UK's FTSE100.
The Senior Compliance Manager supports the U.S. Sales and Global Marketing businesses, namely Reconstruction, Robotics, and Sports Medicine, which reports into and operates under the direction of the U.S. Compliance Director, Recon, Robotics, & Sports Medicine. The Senior Compliance Manager provides support for all elements of the Global Compliance Program including business team guidance, communication of compliance written standards, key control testing for significant risks, third party management, conducting investigations, design, and implementation of corrective actions and needs assessment guidance and review.
- Oversight: Supports the implementation of the Global Compliance Program in the specified Sales and Global Marketing businesses under the direction of the Compliance Director. The responsibilities include supporting Compliance Committee and Compliance Ambassador Meetings, activities and material development, reviewing requests for HCP Arrangements, implementing approval processes as needed and supporting efforts to enhance the required Compliance Culture.
- Written Standards: Provides support on the drafting, implementation and communication of Compliance-related policies and procedures.
- Program Management: Implements actions as specified in the U.S. Compliance Plan of Action and Global Scorecard / KPIs.
- Risk Management: Supports the U.S. Compliance Director in conducting compliance risk assessments in the business and developing and supporting implementation of mitigation plans.
- Training and Communications: Supports the Global Compliance Training Team‘s implementation of the annual training and education plans. Implements applicable U.S. training, including New Manager training and New Field Sales Team training. Develops communications on key compliance risks and initiatives, as requested. Supplements with additional training as requested, according to the particular needs of the business.
- Monitoring and Auditing: Supports the Global Compliance Monitoring and Internal Audit teams in conducting monitoring and auditing as required. Implements monitoring in applicable businesses, including ride-a-longs with field personnel and spot checks.
- Third Party Management: Supports Third Party Seller and Non-seller Third Party (NSTP) compliance management and initiatives, including conducting Third Party Risk Assessments and site visits and implementing the Third Party Seller Due Diligence process and GPP08 for NSTPs.
- Investigations: Conducts and/or assists in investigations to the extent requested, including conducting reviews of documentation, conducting interviews and drafting reports. Ensures consistent and appropriate investigative processes are utilized.
- Corrective Actions: Implements and tracks appropriate and consistent corrective actions for identified compliance issues and assessment activities. Conducts assessments to determine effectiveness of corrective actions.
- Advice and Guidance: Provides day-to-day advice and guidance to relevant business teams on Compliance matters.
- Needs Assessment Activities: Supports the annual Needs Assessment review and reviews activity-specific (“sub need”) submissions by the business teams. Provides training and guidance on the Needs Assessment process, including development of tools as required.
Travel: 10 - 25% of the time, primarily in the U.S.
Education: Bachelor Degree or equivalent required
- Minimum of four years of experience related to implementing a compliance program with-in a business, or other complementary job experience (such as roles within Internal Audit, Finance or Legal functions).
- Expertise in Marketing or other fields will be considered upon demonstration of skill sets needed to perform the job duties.
- Experience in Healthcare industry – Device, Pharma, or Biotech is preferable.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Strong ability to communicate complex topics in concise terms.
- Ability to communicate concisely and persuasively in writing as well as the ability to draft clear and effective reports, policies etc.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Self- motivated and result-driven.
- Ability to work in a matrixed organization, across cultures and functions with all levels of the organization.
- Instinct to detect risk areas and red flags.
- Solution-minded; desire to solve problems.
- Ability to prioritize according to risk and make quick decisions with appropriate independence.
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and change.
- Project management skills. Ability to follow through and complete tasks on time.
- Fluent in English.
Smith and Nephew is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by applicable law.