The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Advanced University degree in business/public administration, finance, accounting, international development, audit or other relevant field, or First University degree with additional years of relevant work experience and/or training/courses in compliance, performance and risk management or other related fields. Compliance professional certification would be an advantage.
Language: Fluency (level C) in English and French language.
The Risk and Compliance Advisor assists WFP Country Directors in Central African Republic, Cameroon and Chad by providing advice and recommendations to enhance the effectiveness of internal control systems, the monitoring and mitigation of risks, potential fraud and corruption, overall efficiency of operations and optimization of WFP resources. The Risk and Compliance Advisor is supported by the Regional Risk and Compliance unit based in the Regional Bureau for West Africa based in Dakar Senegal.
To assist the Country Director to oversee internal control systems and their effective implementation, identify weaknesses, inconsistencies, potential fraud and corruption, and recommend improvements and enhancements to ensure efficiency of operations and optimization of all WFP resources.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Provide expert advice to Country Office management and staff on risk & compliance issues and creation of viable control environment to support operational efficiency.
- Provide assistance in ensuring that the use of all WFP resources is in conformity with approved Country Office strategic plans/project plans and donor funding agreements.
- Provide advice on enhancement and/or initiate establishment of adequate internal control systems including performance and risk management systems, monitoring and oversight plans and support their implementation.
- Contribute to the development of compliance Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for managing the risk and compliance function, including criteria for conducting risk and compliance missions, training materials and modules, etc. following the best international practices.
- Undertake periodic and ad hoc reviews independently or with relevant managers in country and field offices to assess effectiveness of the internal controls, identify risk areas, assess the potential for fraud and corruption in operational activities and recommend required actions to the relevant units or management level.
- Facilitate accountability across functional units, prepare comprehensive reports and formulate sound recommendations on required actions in areas of compliance vulnerability including procedural and regulatory amendments.
- Monitor and report on follow-up of the implementation of audit, evaluation and other oversight bodies’ recommendations and associated management actions.
- Facilitate the preparation of annual performance planning and reviews, risk assessment and updating of risk registers, including operational level risk registers and progress towards implementing the risk mitigation actions.
- Prepare periodic progress reports on the status of compliance and internal controls in the office.
- Assess information/training needs, and prepare and deliver training programmes or information sessions for managers and staff to enhance compliance with WFP policies, rules, regulations and procedures and help build a culture of compliance.
- Supervise staff and provide to them training and technical guidance.
||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level
|Internal Controls & Compliance
||Demonstrates in-depth knowledge of internal controls and proper accounting procedures and systems to recommend improvements where necessary to address current weaknesses and mitigate risks to mission-critical WFP operations.
|Performance Budgeting, Reporting & Analysis
Manages budget, business planning, and forecasting discussions on a programme-wide level, integrating financial resource information from a portfolio of projects to analyze effectiveness and financial viability.
|Enterprise Risk Management
||Leads enterprise risk management activities across HQ and Field operations, recommending and implementing effective controls and mitigation actions to ensure WFP remains best in its class for mature and integrated enterprise risk management.
||Demonstrates thorough understanding of WFP’s performance management system and ability to manage resources and relationships to lead monitoring actions or deliver complex evaluations (including joint & inter-agency) of a variety of WFP programmes, processes or policies to WFP monitoring and/or evaluation quality standards.
|Programme and Operations Knowledge
||Leads a technical team through the development, management and monitoring of effective, innovative programme in highly complex contexts that strengthen Governments’ capacity to address hunger, are fully integrated into long-term strategies and are coherent with WFP, UN and donor policies.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Extensive and in depth knowledge of compliance, internal controls, performance and risk management in highly complex humanitarian operational environments
- Sound judgment, discretion and ability to communicate technical and sensitive information to executive management
- Ability to analyse and understand complex information from a variety of fields including reports and other written information and quantitative data
- Ability to proactively develop the area of responsibility with minimum supervision but closely coordinated with management, functional unit heads and other levels of the organization
- Strong organizational skills including ability to establish and maintain priorities, multi task and manage stress in the face of tight deadlines and evolving priorities
- Ability to develop and lead a technical team and raise awareness and capacity of colleagues for compliance, performance and risk management
- Ability to work effectively with people of different national and cultural backgrounds
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Has gained operational management experience, preferably in large public decentralized organization working in complex humanitarian contexts
- Has managed and coordinated compliance activities
- Has conducted risk analysis and developed risk mitigation strategies
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
WFP offers an attractive compensation and benefits package, including basic salary, post adjustment, relocation entitlement, travel and shipment allowances, 30 days’ annual leave, home leave, an education grant for dependent children, pension plan and medical insurance. For more details please visit icsc.un.org